Absentee voting (also known as "early voting" or sometimes "vote by mail") is an option for Maine voters who wish to receive a ballot either by mail or at City Hall prior to Election Day. This option is commonly used by voters who are unable to visit the polls on Election Day and those who simply prefer the convenience of voting early or by mail. The City of Westbrook strongly encourages voters to consider voting absentee at the upcoming election, to reduce community spread of COVID-19.
Voters may request an absentee ballot up to 3 months prior to an election. When the ballots arrive from the printer (approximately 30 days prior to an election), the City Clerk’s Office will mail ballots to all who submitted requests. At that point, voters will also have the option of voting an absentee ballot at City Hall.
Ordering a Ballot
There are several ways to order an absentee ballot:
- ONLINE. Request an absentee ballot online by clicking here.
- BY PHONE. Call the Westbrook Election Hotline at 207-591-8116.
- BY MAIL. Complete the Absentee Ballot Request Form and mail it to City Clerk's Office, 2 York Street, Westbrook, ME 04092.
- IN PERSON. Early voting will be available starting Monday October 5th. Please stop by City Hall from 7:30am-4:00pm Monday through Friday, with additional extended hours on Wednesdays until 6:00pm to early vote in person. City Hall will also be open the following Saturdays for early in-person absentee voting:
- Saturday, October 10, 2020 - 8:00am-12:00pm
- Saturday, October 17, 2020 - 8:00am-12:00pm
- Saturday, October 24, 2020 - 8:00am-12:00pm
- TRACK YOUR BALLOT. Track your absentee ballot request status through the Secretary of State's new tracking tool.
Your absentee ballot must be returned to the City Clerk’s Office by 8pm on November 3rd (Election Day), coinciding with the close of the polls.